2 sprigs fresh chopped oregano leaves
3 tbsp flour
Salt & pepper
180g lasagne sheets
250g parmesan, finely grated
3 tbsp olive oil
500g minced beef
150g onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 tbsp tomato purée
250ml red wine
400g can chopped tomatoes
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Break up the beef and add to the pan. Fry the beef for 6-8 minutes or until starting to brown. Stir in the chopped onions, crushed garlic and tomato purée and cook for a further minute.
- Now stir in the red wine, tomatoes and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the sauce is syrupy.
- To make the white sauce, melt the butter in another pan, add the flour and beat until smooth. Gradually whisk in the milk and the cream until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently on a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cover the surface with parchment paper or cling film.
- Cover the base of a 27cm x 20cm x 5cm ovenproof dish with a layer of lasagne sheets and then spread evenly with the white sauce. Spread with a thin layer of the meat sauce and sprinkle with some of the parmesan. Repeat layer by layer with the remaining ingredients, finishing with a layer of white sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan.
- Bake the lasagne on shelf level 2 on Steam setting 1 at 160°C for about 55 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown all over.
For a punchier version, replace half or all the minced beef with minced lamb, slightly increase the amount of garlic and season strongly with black pepper.