4 medium Sebago potatoes
1 ½ cups plain flour (with more for rolling)
1 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 bunch basil
½ cup pine nuts
1 cup grated parmesan
1 clove garlic
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the potatoes well.
- Steam in their jackets on full steam in the AEG SteamPro Oven at 100c until tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Peel them and pass through a strainer with the back of a spoon.
- Add the flour, salt and beaten egg.
- Gently mix with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Knead a little to form into a smooth ball. Don’t over mix or the gnocchi will be tough.
- On a floured surface, cut the dough into tennis ball sized amounts.
- Roll each one into a long sausage, around 2cm in diameter.
- Use a pastry cutter or table knife to cut each sausage at 1cm intervals.
- Dust with flour as required.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and poach the gnocchi for 1-2 minutes or until they float.
- Remove with a slotted spoon into a large bowl and add the pesto and a spoon of the cooking water.
- Toss in the bowl to coat.
- Serve with more parmesan.
- Pick the basil into a blender (or mortar and pestle for a more traditional method).
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan until golden.
- Allow to cool and then add to the basil.
- Chop the garlic finely and add.
- Add the parmesan, pepper and oil.
- Blend until just homogenous, but with some texture.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt if required.