200ml Sauternes style wine
350ml pouring cream (35% fat)
2 x 55gm eggs
5 egg yolks
115g castor sugar
100g castor sugar
- Preheat the AEG ProCombiPlus™Steam Oven to 96°C on the Full Steam function.
- In a saucepan, heat the sauternes to 60°C then add the cream to warm slightly.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and sugar with a whisk until pale.
- Using a spatula, slowly add the sauternes and cream mixture.
- Leave the mix to rest for 5 minutes, skimming away any froth.
- Divide the custard between 6 x 100ml ramekins. If you have a small butane burner or gas torch, lightly flame the surface of each custard to remove any remaining bubbles.
- Cover each ramekin with cling film and place in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until just set.
- Remove from the oven and uncover. Leave to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- Heat the castor sugar in a heavy based pan, stirring from time to time until it begins to caramelise. Stir until evenly coloured and the colour is a touch darker than golden brown. Optimally, it should smell slightly burnt.
- Remove from the heat and add the water. Take care as it will spit and spatter everywhere.
- Wait for the sugar and water to reduce spattering, then using a whisk, whisk the water into the caramel until combined and a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Return to the heat if required to achieve an even consistency.
- Simmer until the caramel thickens slightly then set aside to cool.
- Pour the caramel sauce evenly over each custard to serve.