1 x 1.6kg free range chicken
2 cloves garlic
½ bunch fresh thyme
½ tsp freshly ground white pepper
50ml extra virgin olive oil
30g Murray river salt
1 medium sized celeriac
3 tbs of homemade mayonnaise
salt and pepper
- Heat the AEG ProCombiPlus Steam Oven to 69°C on the Sous Vide function.
- Using sharp kitchen scissors, cut down each side of the chicken backbone. Remove and discard or use in a stock.
- Turn the chicken over and press flat. With a sharp kitchen knife, cut through the centre of the breast bone to divide the chicken into two halves.
- Finely chop the garlic, thyme and eschallots and mix with the pepper and olive oil.
- Spread evenly over the chicken then sprinkle with salt.
- Place each chicken half into a separate sous vide bag and using the AEG PrecisionVac SousVide Vacuum Sealer Drawer, individually seal each bag on Full Pressure.
- Place the sous vide bags into the oven and steam for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, chill in iced water then refrigerate until required.
- Peel back the rough skin of the celeriac and run the flesh through a mandolin to make flat, thin sheets.
- Pile the sheets three or four high and julienne into thin strips.
- Place the julienned celeriac into a bowl and combine with enough mayonnaise to bind it together without being runny.
- Season with salt and pepper then add a few drops of lemon juice to taste.
- Remove the chicken from the sous vide bags and slice the breasts into 4-5 pieces and the legs into joints. Serve beside the celeriac remoulade.