The beauty of AEG's SteamPro oven is the ability to prove and steam large quantities of dough in a controlled and consistent environment leaving you with light and fluffy bao buns each time.
The recipe can be double if required and cooked buns can be stored in a airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. The buns can also be filled with almost anything you like.
Steamed bun flour, Korean BBQ sauce, perilla leaves and sawtooth coriander leaves can be found at most specialty Asian grocers.
Makes 16 bao buns
1. Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warmed milk. Add the flour and oil and mix until dough forms.
2. Knead on the lightly floured surface for 10-15 minutes until smooth, soft and elastic.
3. Shape dough into a ball and place into a lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean, damp tea towl and place into AEG's SteamPro oven. Select the dough proving function and leave to rest for 30-45 mins or until doubled in size.
4. Remove dough from the oven and turn out onto a clean work surface. Knead lightly for 1 minute. Shape into a 3cm thick log and cut into 3cm long pieces (approx. 16 pieces). Roll each piece into a ball and allow to rest for 3 minutes.
5. Roll out each ball until 3-4mm thick and use a 10cm cutter to trim into circles. Lightly brush the surface of the rolled-out dough with oil and gently fold in half.
6. Transfer onto a lined baking tray and cover with a clean, damp tea towel. Place into AEG's SteamPro oven and select the dough proving function. Leave to rest for 30-45 mins or until doubled in size.
7. Steam the bao buns for 8-10 minutes using the steam function.
To assemble the bao buns, gently pry open a bao bun and fill with char sui pork, perilla and sawtooth coriander leaves, cucumber, carrot, chilli and Korean BBQ sauce. Repeat until all bao buns are filled. Serve immediately.