• 4 large parsnips
• 10 parsley roots
• 1 medium onion
• 500 ml chicken stock
• 100 g salted butter
• 50 ml dry white wine
• 1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper
• 2 vanilla beans
• 100 ml pouring cream
1. Peel the parsnips and parsley root.
2. Remove the stalks and cut into 1cm pieces.
3. Peel the onion and cut into 1cm dice.
4. Add the butter to a 2-litre casserole pot and place over a medium/high heat.
5. Melt the butter until foaming then add all the vegetables.
6. Sauté until starting to colour.
7. Add the pepper.
8. Split the vanilla beans and scrape out the seeds with the back of a knife.
9. Add seeds and pods to the pot.
10. Add the wine and reduce for 2 minutes.
11. Add the stock and bring to a boil.
12. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are very tender.
13. Remove the vanilla pods.
14. Blend to a fine purée in an upright blender on high speed.
15. Pass through a very fine strainer into a clean pot.
16. Add the cream and mix well.
17. Add a little salt to taste.
Be very careful blending hot liquids and purées. Cover the top with a thick dish towel and don’t fill the blender more than half way.